Foley, Jack Edward.

Back to all people

- Medals

united statesAirborne

Jack Edward, Foley, born on 18-08-1922, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to Randall A., and Viola (born Meahl) Foley. He grew up in Brookline with his two brothers. Foley graduated from South Hills High in 1940, then enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh, where during the 1942-43 season he earned a varsity letter as a manager for the university’s basketball team. While at Pittsburgh in his third year, he along with almost twenty other members of his ROTC class were commissioned into military service on 29-06-1943.

Captain Jack Edward Foley was a commissioned officer with Easy Company , 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, in the 101st Airborne Division of the United States Army during World War II.

In November 1943, Foley served in the Coast Artillery Corps with the rank of First Lieutenant, while defending a part of Puget Sound in Washington. Later on he was transferred to Texas and became a paratrooper. He graduated from Officer Candidate School on 19-11-1943. In October 1944, he graduated with his jump wings. Foley first saw combat in the town of Foy, outside of the Belgian city of Bastogne, as leader of first platoon. While advancing along with his platoon, they came across a barbed wire fence and encountered three Germans, who were quickly captured. The Germans started taunting them, calling them “dummkopf”, German for “stupid”. There was the platoon sergeant, Staff Sergeant John W “Johnny” Martin

 , along with a few other men who left the platoon to find assistance. One of them was so sick of hearing “dummkopf” that he decided kill all of the prisoners with his BAR. Johnny Martin survived the war and died on 26-01-2005, age 82, in Arizona .

When they got to the Central Post, where First Lieutenant Norman Staunton Dike Jr.   and the rest of Foley’s platoon were, First Lieutenant Clifford Carwood “The Man” Lipton,

said “We want your mortar and we want your machine gun.” Each platoon had 60 mm mortar and also a machine gun. He informed Dike that he would take the first platoon, and move forward until they are in position. Snipers in the hay-stack shot two of Foley’s men, and he was shot right through his boot. The remaining men launched some grenades on the hay-stack, eliminating the German snipers positioned there. They had poor radio contact during the attack.

Foley also took part in Haguenau action in February 1945. During the battle, there were many mortar shells coming in and a lot of fragments flying around all day and night. There was one evening where Foley had to walk up to Regimental HQ because two of his men had been wounded after they were walking around in and out of town searching for any liquor. Foley took one or two hours before reporting to Regimental HQ because his mission was along the way there. Colonel Robert Frederick Sink, whom he had to report to, had just informed to him “Foley, you should have shot those fellows, it saved us all this paperwork”. After leaving his office and regrouping with his unit, he had been wounded by all of the bombing taking place in Foy. Doc Eugene Gilbert Roe   removed a couple of metal fragments from Foley’s right wrist. Two weeks later when Easy Company returned to Mourmelon, he went to regimental medics because his wrist became swollen and soon became infected. Foley then retired from the army as a Captain.

Death and burial ground of Foley, Edward Jack.

Foley, above on the right, returned to the University of Pittsburgh to complete his degree and began his career at ALCOA. His mother died in 1949, aged 55. Sergeant William Joseph ”Wild Bill” Guarnere

was able to find Foley through a letter. After that, Foley attended the Easy Company reunions. He went back to Europe three or four times. Following that, he was employed in advertising newsletters for the Aluminum Cooking Utensil Co. in New Kensington, the Cutco Co. in Olean, N.Y., the Alcoa Wrap Co. in New Kensington and Alcoa in Pittsburgh before retiring in 1982. He bought a cattle ranch in the latter state. He would then found the Martin Construction Company, and lived the rest of his life as a multimillionaire. He and his wife Mary-Lou had five children; Karen, Barbara, John, David, and Nancy. And along with grandchildren; Julia, Elaine and Rita Foley, Mara and Anthony Ferreira, and Kate and Jonathan Neuse. His two brothers predeceased him- Randall James of Texas, and Richard of California. He died of complications of Type 1 diabetes on 14-09-2009, age 87. Edward Foley is buried at Mount Hope Cemetery, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, VS, Section 5A.

Share on :