Schulze-Büttger, Georg.

Back to all people

Schulze-Büttger, Georg, born 05-10-1904 in Posen, came to Hildesheim with his sister and mother when he was seven, where his grandmother lived. His father, an officer, had died early. He attended the local high school Andreanum and passed the Abitur there in 1922. Georg married Jutta Sibylla Schulze-Büttger (born Neumann-Semerow) in 1934, at the age of 29. Jutta was born on 27-09-1914, in Berlin. Then he joined the 17th (Preuß.-Braunschw.) Infantry Regiment of the Reichswehr in Goslar, which with its 12th company had taken over the tradition of the “Goslar Jäger” . In the following years he qualified as a general staff officer. From 1935 he was adjutant to Oberst General Ludwig Beck. the chief of staff in Berlin of the army. Through this he found contacts with circles critical of the regime. About the November pogroms of 1938 he said to his wife: “We will bitterly regret this day again”. .

After Beck’s resignation in August 1938, he became company commander in the 74th Infantry Regiment in Hameln and later First General Staff Officer (Ia) of the 71st Infantry Division under command of Generalmajor Wolfgang Ziegler, established in Hildesheim in August 1939 .Generalmajor Ziegler, on 14-10-1939, age 49, committed suicide in Heidelberg. With the 71 Division Schulze-Büttger moved into World War II. From August 1940 on he was Ia of XXXVIII. Army Corps.   under command of Generalfeldmarschall Erich von Manstein With this he took part in the campaign against the Soviet Union, Operation Barbarossa . In December 1941 he was transferred to the General Staff of Army Group Center, under command of Generalfeldmarschall Fedor von Bock and was one of the close confidants of Generalmajor Henning von Tresckow,

who together with Oberst i. G. Claus Schenk Count of Stauffenberg was the head of the military resistance against Adolf Hitler. In Smolensk, Tresckow and Schulze-Büttger tried out various explosives for an assassination attempt. In February 1943, through Tresckow’s mediation, Schulze-Büttger was appointed Ia of Army Group South under the leadership of Field Marshal Erich von Manstein. In July 1944 Schulze-Büttger became Chief of the General Staff of the 4th Panzer Army, under command of General Walther Nehring .

Death and burial ground of Georg Schulze-Büttger.

 After the failed assassination attempt on July 20, 1944, he was arrested at the front (August 20) because of his knowledge. On September 14th, Oberst i. G. dishonorably expelled from the Wehrmacht by the court of honor, so that the Reich Court Martial was no longer responsible for the judgment. On 13-10-1944, the hearing before the People’s Court took place under its President Roland Freisler

. On the same day Georg Schulze-Büttger, age 40, was sentenced to death and hanged in Plötzensee prison . Georg Schulze-Büttger was married and had a daughter and two sons. Both sons, Georg and Jobst Schulze-Büttger, were officers in the Bundeswehr .

Georg Schulze Büttger was buried at the Plötzensee prison cemetery in an anonymously grave like all Plötzensee Nazi victims. Later rebuired at the Friedhof St. Lamberti in Hildesheim  In addition to a welcoming address by Mayor Ekkehard Palandt, there were speeches by Jobst Schulze-Büttger (son of Georg Schulze-Büttger), Dr. Hartmut Häger and Bernd Lynack (chairman of the SPD city council group). The commemoration ended with a bouquet laying ceremony and a minute’s silence.

Share on :