Fessmann, Ernst, born 06-01-1881 in Pfersee, District Augsburg and was a Cavalry General in the German Army who was notable for commanding one of the first Panzer Divisions. He joined the Bavarian Army as an officer cadet in 1900 and was commissioned as a leutnant. After service in the German Imperial Army in World War I in which he commanded the 2nd Cavalry Regiment he was retained in the Reichswehr in which he commanded a motorized battalion. From 1934 to 1935 he commanded the Panzer Lehr Brigade and on 15-10-1935 as a Generalleutnant he was appointed commander of the 3rd Panzer Division in Berlin, his successor was Generalleutnant der Panzertruppe, Kommandeur der Panzergruppe West, Leo Geyr von Schweppenburg
which was one of the first three Panzer Divisions to be created. The other two were the 1st Panzer Division formed in Weimar and commanded by Generalfeldmarschall der Kavallerie, Army Group B, Maximillian Freiherr von Weichs
and the 2nd Panzer Division formed in Würzburg and commanded by Generaloberst der Infanterie, Oberbefehler B 2nd Panzer Armee, Heinz Wilhelm Guderian
. Feßmann retired from the Wehrmacht in September 1937 as a General der Panzertruppe but returned to active service at the outbreak of World War II as the first commander of the 267th Infantry Division , which served on the Western Front and took part in the invasions of Belgium, France and the Netherlands. (see About) (see Jan Ackermans) . He was succeeded by Generalmajor Friedrich-Karl von Wachter and landed in the Führer Reserve OKH (see Adolf Hitler), from 16-06-1941 until 15-07-1941, assigned as the commander of Disposal Staff, in Frankfurt an der Oder, to 08-01-1942. Again in the Reserve to 31-05-1942, retired on 30-04-1943 and lands in Soviet captivity, on 05-06-1945, until his release on 30-09-1945. Generalmajor Friedrich-Karl von Wachter died, age 84 on 14-10-1975 in Darmstadt
Death and burial ground of Fessmann, Ernst.
Living in Pullach, he died at the old age of 81, on 25-10-1962 and is buried with his wife Gertrude, who died age 70 in 1961 on the cemetery Münchenerstrasse in Pullach and only steps from the grave of WWII General der Kavallerie, Kommandeur der Ist Kavallerie Regiment, Gustav Harteneck