//hide the elements on login user

Ludendorff Bridge in Remagen.

29-11-2016

The Ludendorff Bridge (sometimes referred to as the Bridge at Remagen) was in early March 1945 one of two remaining bridges across the River Rhine in Germany when it was captured during the Battle of Remagen by United States Army forces during the closing weeks of World War II. Built in World War I to help deliver reinforcements and supplies to the German troops on the Western Front, it connected Remagen on the west bank and the village of Erpel on the eastern side between two hills flanking the river.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor remagen in ww2 p1180742

At the end of Operation Lumberjack (March 1–7, 1945), the troops of the American 1st Army 136px-1st_army-svg under General Courtney Hicks Hodges approached Remagen and were surprised to find that the bridge was still standing. Operation Lumberjack was a military operation with the goal to capture the west bank of the Rhine River. Its capture enabled the U.S. Army to establish a bridgehead on the eastern side of the Rhine. After the U.S. forces captured the bridge, German forces tried to destroy it multiple times until it collapsed on March 17, 1945, ten days after it was captured, killing 28 U.S. Army Engineers. While it stood,  CROSS THE RHINE WITH DRY FEET COURTESY OF 9TH ARM'D DIV-LUDENDORFF BRIDGE.jpg rinecrossing3 the bridge enabled the U.S. Army to deploy 25,000 troops, six Army divisions, with many tanks, artillery pieces and trucks, across the Rhine. The last commander of the Remagen bridge was Major Hans Scheller  . Within five days the energetic and capable Scheller,  as Hitler censed by the loss of the bridge accused Scheller Scheller would be shot by a firing squad, with 12 other sentenced by a Flying Court in a local restaurant, near Birnbach, 60 miles from the bridge, his wife Lisel was pregnant at the moment. 

One of the first to cross the Remagen bridge was sergeant, Alexander Drabik
  of the 9th Armored Division, nickname “Phantom” 9th US Armored Division SSI.svg

It was never rebuilt. The towers on the west bank were converted into a museum p1180684 p1180719 and the towers on the east bank are a performing art space.

7632fdf5fe8de7203fb04a5f89569a59  von-boeselager-14-july-2016-031
Blog //hide the elements on login user

end

Top