Wuthenow, Kurt Otto Gustav.

Back to all people

Wuthenow, Kurt Otto Gustav, born 15-04-1889, in Allenstein, to Max Wuthenow, an Oberstaatsanwalt/lawyer and his wife Klara Wuthenow, born Schwill, on 27-05-1920  Kurt was married to Lia von Loewis of Henar and the couple had two sons (*1922 / 1928). He joined the Royal Prussian Army on 23-03-1908 as a cadet. He came to the East Prussian Uhlan Regiment “Graf zu Dohna” No. 8. In this he was promoted to leutnant on 27-01-1910 after attending the war school. His patent was dated 29-01-1908. As such, he was now deployed as regiment officer in the East Prussian Uhlan Regiment “Graf zu Dohna” No. 8. Shortly before the start of the First World War in the summer of 1914, he served in this regiment. On 28-01-1915 he was promoted to Oberleutnant. On 18-04-1917 he was promoted to Rittmeister. During World War I, he was awarded other medals in addition to both Iron Crosses. After the war he was taken on as a cavalry Hauptmann with his old seniority in the Reich Army. In the spring of 1920 he was employed as a regimental adjutant by the 1st Cavalry Regiment in the 200,000-strong transitional army. When the 100,000-man army of the Reichswehr was formed, he was then taken over as such in the 1st (Prussian) Cavalry Regiment. As a regimental adjutant he was used at least for the first few years. In the early 1920s he was then appointed chief of the 3rd (Prussian) Squadron of the 14th Cavalry Regiment in Schleswig. He then led this for several years. In 1927/28 he was then transferred to the regimental staff of the 14th Cavalry Regiment in Ludwigslust. In 1929/30 he was then transferred to the staff of Group Command 1 in Berlin. There he was promoted to Major on 01-04-1930. In 1930/31 he was then transferred to the regimental staff of the 1st (Prussian) Cavalry Regiment in Tilsit. There he now received his instruction as a regiment commander. He was promoted to Oberstleutnant on 01-04-1934. As such, he was appointed commander of the 1st Cavalry

Regiment in Insterburg on 01-10-1934, succeeding Oberst Georg Stumme. Unlike Erwin Rommel, Stumme travelled without the protection of an escort and radio car. On 24 October Stumme and Oberst Andreas Büchting, his chief signals officer, drove to the front to review the situation. On the way to the command post, the car came into the open and was attacked. Büchting was killed by a shot in the head. Stumme, age 56, jumped out of the car and apparently was holding onto the side while the driver drove out of range. He was found dead along the track the next day, with no wound that could be seen. He was known to have high blood pressure and it was thought he had died of a heart attack. He was replaced as commander of Panzerarmee Afrika with the return of Rommel, while the Afrika Korps  was commanded by General der Panzertruppe Wilhelm Ritter von Thoma

On this day, Wuthenow’s regiment was renamed the Insterburg Cavalry Regiment as the Reichswehr expanded into the Wehrmacht. When the associations were exposed, he was appointed commander of the 1st Cavalry Regiment in Insterburg on 15-10-1935. As such, he was promoted to Oberst on 01-03-1936. On 06-10-1936, he handed over his command to Oberst Hans-Karl Freiherr von Esebeck. Esebeck had knowledge of and was sympathetic to the anti-Hitler conspiracy in the military. He was arrested on 21-07-1944 and spent the rest of the war in concentration camps. Liberated at the end of the war he lived the rest of his life in poverty and died on 05-01-1955, age 62.

Kurt Wuthenow was transferred to the Supplementary Officer Corps as an Oberst (E) that day. On 01-10-1937, he was appointed commander of the military district command (WBK) Hersfeld. He then retained this command for several years. Even at the beginning of World War II in the summer of 1939, he continued to be used as such. In mid-December 1940 he resigned his command and was appointed commander of Infantry Replacement Regiment 15 on 15-12-1940. In January 1942 he was put in charge of the new Field Replacement Division E. After less than a month, he handed over his leadership to Generalleutnant Friedrich-Karl von Wachter and was apparently transferred to the Führerreserve for this. On 13-07-1942, he was appointed commander of the new 114th Infantry Regiment. With this he was then used in the association of the 39th Infantry Division under command of Generalleutnant Hugo Höfl. in the area of ​​the Dutch Scheldt estuary. Even when the regiment was renamed Grenadier Regiment 114, he was still its commander. In 1943 he gave up his command and was then appointed commander of the officer camp for prisoners of war IV D (Oflag IV D) in Elsterhorst. As such, he was promoted to Generalmajor on 01-04-1943 and was also accepted into active service in the Wehrmacht. On 06-10-1943 he was then appointed Prisoner of War District Commander Norway in Oslo. At the end of July 1944 he relinquished his command and was apparently transferred again to the Führerreserve. On 28-02-1945 he was finally dismissed from service. Generalleutnant Hugo Höfl.survived the war and died 13-04-1957, aged 79 in Weipertshausen.

Death and burial ground of Wuthenow, Kurt Otto Gustav.

Retiring in Überlingen Generalmajor Wuthenow, Kurt Otto Gustav died on 02-01-1981, age 91 and is buried at the Stadtfriedhof/local town cemetery, in Überlingen.

Denis Estoppey, from Geneva Switserland, visited the cemetery and graveside and sent me kindly the grave photo’s, with thanks.

Message(s), tips or interesting graves for the webmaster:    robhopmans@outlook.com


Share on :


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *