Wolz, Alwin

Back to all people

- Medals

VWA Schwarz WK1.jpgFlak-Kampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe.jpgLuftwaffe Ground-Attack Badge.jpgMedaglia d'argento al valor militare.svgDeutschesKreuzinGold.jpgDE Band mit RK (1).jpg
Wolz, Alwin, born 22-09-1897 in Windsfeld, entered the Army on 23-06-1915 in the Kaiserliche Marine . He as a volunteer on 23-07-1915 came to the Reserve-Battalion of the 2nd Marine-Infanterie-Regiment, in Wilhelmshaven and on 25-10-1915 transferred to the 3rd Marine-Infanterie-Regiment. Wolz was promoted to Fahnenjunker on 01-08-1916 and came on 17-07-1916 to the Army, with the 5th Bayrischen Infanterieregiment. Wolz was wounded  on 08-06-1917, on the Western Front and landed in hospital until 19-07-1917. He was promoted again on 25-06-1917, now to Leutnant. From 23-08-1917 until 31-10-1919 he was Platoon and Company leader in different Regiments. He was transferred to the Police Service on 24-11-1919 and came to the Motorized Unit.  He was the leader of the Motor Transport Battalion of the State Police Service, from 1925 to 1928, in Landshut. He was transferred again to the Luftwaffe (see Hermann Goering)  (did you know) on 01-09-1935 and promoted to Hauptmann. Goering committed suicide and his ashes were scattered from the Reichenbachbrücke in Munich above.
Wolz was transferred from 01-10-1935 as a battery officer to the Flak department of Munich, the later I / Flak Regiment 5. After promotion to Major on 02-08-1936 followed on 01-10-1936 the appointment as the chief of the 5th (headlight) battery of the Flak Regiment 25. In August / September 1937 Major Wolz was at the implementation and preparation of the searchlight demonstration at the Nazi Party in Nuremberg.  On 01-10-1937 he was appointed commander of the 1st Division of the Flak Regiment 25 and on 15-11-1938 commander of the III. (Headlight) Department of the Flak Regiment 5. On 01-03-1939 he had been promoted to Oberstleutnant. With the beginning of mobilization on 26-08-1939 Wolz became the commander of the Flak Regiment 25. The Regiment formed the Flakgruppe Stuttgart and was responsible for the protection of the city. On 08-06-1940 the Staff was moved to the Freiburg area. The headquarters of the regiment was in Emmendingen. The regiment’s task was to support the transition of the 218th Infantry Division under command of Generalleutnant Woldemar Freiherr von Grote and the 221st Infantry Division over the Rhine in the Freiburg area. Freiherr von Grote survived the war and died 16-04-1957, age 79, Braunschweig.  On the afternoon of June 13, there were first combat activities of the subordinate departments on British and French reconnaissance aircraft. On June 15, the attack on the Rhine began, which was successfully supported by the regiment. On 24-06-1940 the Staff became the “Flak Group Hartz”, which was subordinated to the Air Defense Command 8. The headquarters was in Brunswick. In July 1941, the Staff came to Hanover, where the served as a flak group Hanover. On 01-07-1941 Walz was promoted to Oberst. On 09-02-1942 Walz then became commander of the 135th Flak Regiment and at the same time Flakführer in the Panzer Army Africa under Fieldmarschall Erwin Rommel . As commander of the regiment, combat group leader and Flakführer of the armored army, Oberst Wolz distinguished himself in Africa and received, among other things, the German Cross in Gold , the Air Force Ground Badge and the Italian Silver Medal for Bravery . On 09-04-1943 Oberst Wolz secured the retreat of the 15th Panzer Division under command of Generalleutnant Willibald Borowitz and the 164th Light Division under command of Oberst Siegfried Westphal , at El Agareb. Westphal survived the war and died 02-07-1982, aged 80, in Celle. Seven enemy tanks were shot down and the enemy, consisting of 50 enemy tanks, retreated. As a result, both divisions were saved from destruction and Oberst Wolz submitted to the Knight’s Cross, which he received on 10-06-1943. On 01-03-1943 the Oberst left the African theater of war to take over the Flak Brigade XV in Hanover. So he escaped the Allied captivity after the surrender of German troops in Africa. On 25-08-1943 followed the official appointment as commander of the 3rd Flak Division under command of Walter von Hippel, Oberst/ Generalmajor (from 01-04-1943) in Hamburg. Hippel also survived the war and died 29-11-1972, aged 75, in Bandelstorf. On 01-08-1944 followed the promotion to Generalmajor. At the end of January / beginning of February 1945 he was responsible for the anti-aircraft protection of the Oder crossings and bridgeheads between Crossen and Küstrin.
 On 02-04-1945, Wolz was assigned as Battle Commander of Hamburg. After strong discussions, with his officers, he, on 03-05-1945, surrendered the city to the British Brigade, the British 7th Armoured Division nicknamed “Desert Rat” to General David Spurling, in the townhall of Hamburg. Commander of the “Desert Rat, was then Major-General Lewis Owen Lyne”. ,who died 04-11-1970, aged 71, in Kersey, Suffolk, England.

Death and burial ground of Wolz, Alwin.

 Wolz, Albin - Generalmajor  Alwin Wolz was in British captivity, until 07-07-1947 and released. Alwin Wolz, died at the age of 80, of a heart attack, on 15-09-1978, in Munich and is buried on the Stadtfriedhof of Vaterstetten.

Share on :