Karl Otto Koch, born 02-08-1897 in Darmstadt, Grand Duchy of Hesse. His father worked in local registrar’s office and died when Karl was only eight years old. After completing elementary school in 1912, Koch attended Mittelschule and completed a commercial apprenticeship. The Grand Duchy of Hesse and by Rhine, or the Grand Duchy of Hesse between 1806 and 1816, was an independent country and member state of the Confederation of the Rhine as of 1806, when the Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt was elevated to a Grand Duchy which it remained until 1918, when the monarchy was overthrown
In 1916, Karl Otto volunteered to join the army and fought on the Western Front until he was latter captured by the British. Koch spent the rest of the war as a POW and returned to Germany in 1919. As a soldier, he conducted himself well and was awarded the Iron Cross Second Class, the Observer’s Badge and the Wound Badge in Black . Following World War I, Koch worked as a commercial manager, an authorised signatory and insurance agent and became unemployed in 1932. In 1931, Karl-Otto Koch joined the NSDAP NSDAP-nr.: 475 586, on 01-03-1931 and the Schutzstaffel. in September 1933, SS-nr.: 14 830.
In September of that year he divorced his first wife, Marie Sophie Elisabeth Josephine Margarethe Katharina Müller, who he married 06-09-1924 and with whom he had had a son, Manfred. He worked at desk jobs and in the SS police apparatus before beginning a career as an administrator within the Nazi concentration-camp system, where he gained a reputation for ruthlessness and cruelty. Koch served with several SS-Standarten 35th Regiment Kassel, SS Special Detachment Saxony.. After he ran a number of small camps, he was promoted in 1936 to become commandant of a large new camp, Sachsenhausen, built at Oranienburg, on the outskirts of Berlin.
In 1937, during his tenure at Sachsenhausen, he married Ilse Köhler , a woman nearly 10 years his junior whom he had met while he was stationed in Darmstadt. So well did he perform his duties at Sachsenhausen that he was rewarded with the command of another new camp, Buchenwald, being constructed on a hill near Weimar, Germany. The new inmates had heard stories of the devilish conditions in the camp and the satanic behavior of the guards. They had heard stories, which turned out to be terrible truth, of prisoners being thrown to the bears at Commander Koch’s private zoo at Buchenwald, where they were brutally mauled. Of prisoners thrown into the large open latrines.
Under Koch’s reign at Buchenwald (1937–41), prisoners were mistreated to a degree that was unusually severe even by Nazi standards. A variety of punishments—dangerous work in the camp’s quarry, beatings, torture, starvation, whippings, death by hanging—were meted out by the SS guards. Living conditions were abominable: the camp was overcrowded; prisoners barely existed on starvation rations; sanitation was primitive; disease was rampant; and medical care was virtually nonexistent. (Under the next commandant, SS Oberführer Hermann Pister , Buchenwald would be used as a laboratory where medical experiments were carried out on live prisoners.) Koch’s wife also allegedly engaged in abusing the prisoners. Inmates felt that she was as much responsible for their terrible situation as he was, and they referred to her as the “commandeuse,” or “lady commandant.”
Buchenwald concentration camp.
The trial against Hermann Pister began on 11-04-1947. He was found guilty and sentenced to death by hanging. Pister died in Landsberg Prison of an acute heart attack on 28-09-1948.
Prisoners arrested during Kristallnacht lining up for a roll call at the Buchenwald concentration camp in Germany, November 1938.
The Kochs, who had three children (although one died in infancy) , lived exceedingly well at Buchenwald and enriched themselves through various schemes. Even much of the gold extracted from the mouths of dead inmates before they were sent to the camp’s crematorium ended up in the Kochs’ possession. The couple was investigated and tried by the SS, but the charges went unproved. Koch’s actions at Buchenwald first caught the attention of SS-Obergruppenführer Josias, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont in 1941. In glancing over the death list of Buchenwald, Josias had stumbled across the name of Dr Walter Krämer, a head hospital orderly at Buchenwald, which he recognized because Krämer had successfully treated him in the past. Josias investigated the case and found out that Koch, in a position as the Camp Commandant, had ordered
Walter Krämer and Karl Peix of, a hospital attendant, killed as “political prisoners” because they had treated him for syphilis and he feared it might be discovered. Waldeck also received reports that a certain prisoner had been shot while attempting to escape.
Death and burial ground of Koch, Karl Otto.
At the end of 1941, Karl received orders to report to Lublin, Poland, to take charge of the Majdanekcamp, which, had it been finished, would have been the largest concentration, slave-labour, and extermination camp in the Nazi system. Leaving his wife and their children behind at Buchenwald, Koch ran Majdanek for only a few months before more evidence of his corruption surfaced. He was relieved of his command and eventually jailed in the SS prison at Weimar. On 05-04-1945, with the Allies coming ever closer to Weimar, Koch, age 47, was taken from his cell, driven up to Buchenwald, and executed by an SS firing squad. His body was disposed of in the camp crematorium.
His ashes are probably ironical buried with his victims in the prisoners ash graves, like the Americans did with the ashes of SS Obergruppenführer and Chief of the Chancellery of the Führer of the NSDAP . Responsible for the Nazi Action T4 euthanasia program, Philipp Bouhler and his wife Helene “Heli” in a mass grave of Dachau Concentration Camp . In 1944/45, the SS had ashes from the crematorium dumped into a natural depression in the earth near the SS officers’ colony. The ash grave was rediscovered in 1965, landscaped and dedicated in 1967, and later neglected. After being uncovered once again in 1993/94, it was furnished with MEMENTO stones from the 1949 “Grove of Honour”.