Frisbie, Julian Neil.

Back to all people

- Medals

united statesArmyGeneralBrigade General

Frisbie, Julian Neil, born 30-11-1894, in Virden, Illinois, the son of Wiiliam Luther Frisbie (1863–1917) and his wife Minnie W Frisbie (1871–1903), attended Illinois College in Jacksonville, Illinois, and graduated with a bachelor’s degree. In August 1918, Frisbie was assigned to the Officer Candidates School at Marine Barracks Quantico, Virginia,

he graduated from the officer’s course on 15-2-1918, and was commissioned second lieutenant on the same date. His first assignment as an officer was with 15th Marine Regiment,  which was sent to suppress rebels in Dominican Republic at the end of February 1919.

During his time in Dominican Republic, Frisbie was transferred to the staff of the 2nd Provisional Marine Brigade, where he was appointed aide to the commanding General, Brigadier General Logan Feland, he returned to the United States in July 1921 and subsequently was appointed officer in charge of the Marine Corps Recruiting Station in Cincinnati, Ohio. Feland died at Columbus, Ohio, on 17-07-1936, age 66. He was buried in Arlington National Cemetery

While serving there, Frisbie was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant on 21-10-1922. Frisbie was transferred to the Marine detachment aboard submarine tender USS Savannah in June 1924 and participated in the cruise to the Gulf of Mexico and later to Hawaii.

In April 1925, his detachment was transferred to another submarine tender, USS Camden, and he served with this ship within East Coast of the United States. Frisbie served with USS Camden until May 1926, when he was transferred back to Marine Barracks Quantico, Virginia, he subsequently served there on the staff of the commanding General of Marine Corps Expeditionary Force and participated in the Fleet exercises at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. After return from Cuba, Frisbie served at Quantico Base as assistant to the athletic officer.

He was subsequently assigned again to the 2nd Provisional Marine Brigade and sailed for Nicaragua, where he fought the rebel forces of Augusto César Sandino. For his service during the combat around the village of Santa María, he was decorated with the Nicaraguan Presidential Medal of Merit with Star and Diploma. Frisbie returned to the United States in March 1930 and was assigned to the Marine barracks within Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.

After two years of service there, he attended the Company Officers’s course at Marine Corps School at Quantico Base in June 1932.

Frisbie was back at Marine Base San Diego in June 1935, and, due to his experiences at sea, he was appointed commander of the Sea School Detachment within the San Diego base, he was later appointed base adjutant under the command of Major General Douglas Clinton “Mac” McDougal. and who died 20-01-1964, age 87. Frisbie was transferred to the Paymaster Department within Headquarters Marine Corps in Washington, D.C., in January 1938. Promotion to major became effective in March 1938, and Frisbie was appointed post paymaster at Marine Barracks Parris Island, South Carolina, at the same time.

In April 1941, Major Frisbie was assigned to the 1st Marine Division located at Marine Barracks New River, North Carolina under the command of Major General Smith, Holland McTyeire “Howland Mad”, he was subsequently appointed commanding officer of the 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment. During his service in this capacity, Frisbie was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel in July 1941. Following the Japanese Attack on Pearl Harbor,   1st Marine Division was deployed to the South Pacific, and Frisbie himself was appointed regimental executive officer in February 1942.

Frisbie served in this capacity with distinction during the Guadalcanal Campaign, and for his efforts and gallantry in action during the defense combat in Lunga Area in late 1942, Frisbie was decorated with the Silver Star, he remained in this capacity until 22-06-1943, when he relieved Colonel Amor Leroy Sims as commanding officer of the 7th Marine Regiment. His regiment was sent to Australia for rest and refit after heavy fighting at Solomon Islands. Colonel Amor Sims died 30-11-1978, age 82, in Norfolk, Virginia,

Frisbie commanded the regiment during the next few months of intensive training and preparation for new deployment. During his time in Australia, he was promoted to the rank of colonel in October 1943. Weeks later, he led his regiment during the bloody Battle of Cape Gloucester in New Britain. Colonel Frisbie commanded the initial landing and securing of the beachhead and later defeated Japanese 141st Infantry Regiment. For his actions during the battle, he was decorated with the Navy Cross.

He was relieved by Colonel Herman Henry Hanneken on 20-02-1944 and sent back to the United States and assigned to Headquarters Marine Corps. Following one month of duties there, he was transferred to San Diego, where he was appointed commanding officer of the Training Camp within Camp Pendleton. Colonel Herman Hanneken died on 23-08-1986 old age 93, in La Jolla, California,

Colonel Frisbie was assigned back to his well-known 1st Marine Division in June 1945, he was appointed commanding officer of the 5th Marine Regiment on June 25 and led his regiment to Tientsin, China.

For his part in the occupation of North China, Frisbie was decorated with the Legion of Merit and Commendation Medal by the army and with Order of the Cloud and Banner, 5th Grade by the Government of Republic of China.

He commanded 5th Marines until 15-10-1945, when he was transferred to the staff of 1st Marine Division and appointed its chief of staff. Frisbie returned to 5th Marines on 16-07-1946, and commanded this regiment until the end of May 1947, when it was ordered to Guam and reassigned to 1st Provisional Marine Brigade under the command of Brigadier General Edward A. Craig. Frisbie was subsequently appointed 1st Brigade chief of staff on 01-06-1947.

Following his retirement from the Marine Corps, Frisbie was appointed warden of the Southern Michigan Prison in Jackson, Michigan; the position very similar to his last one in the Marine Corps. In April 1952, two prisoners from the maximum-security prison wing overpowered a guard and released other inmates in their cell block, they took 10 guards as hostages, and after damaging several prison wings they demanded an end to alleged guard’s brutality, a change in the parole system, better living conditions and guarantee of no reprisals and other concessions in the exchange for their surrender. Frisbie led the negotiations and finally helped to secure all hostages and establish order again.

Death and burial ground of Frisbie, Julian Neil.

Frisbie died of a heart attack on 28-04-1963, at Oak Knoll Naval Hospital and is buried together with his wife, Antoinette, born Lumley Frisbie (1896–1994) at Golden Gate National Cemetery in San Bruno, California, Section C-1, 31.

Message(s), tips or interesting graves for the webmaster:

Share on :


Comments are closed.