Dollmann, Friedrich Karl Albert.

Back to all people

- Medals

2nd Class: 18 years 
Dollmann, Friedrich, born on 02-02-1882 in Würzburg, Bavaria , the son of a official, joined the German army on 15-07-1899, age 17, as Fahnenjunker with the 7th Bayerischen Feldartillerieregiment “Prinzregent Luipold”  He studied in the War Academy for General Staff starting in 1909. He served as an aerial observer for the first two years of the First World War. Dollmann was assigned to the wartime General Staff on 05-11-1917, as part of the 6th Infantry Division, under command of Generaloberst Hans Hartwig von Beseler . Beseler died on 20-12-1921, age 71 in Neu-Babelsberg near Potsdam. He was buried at the Invalidenfriedhof in Berlin.
Dollmann was transferred to the Bavarian General Staff, where on 21-08-1918 he took command of the 6th Army. In March 1919, he was appointed to the Ministry of Military Affairs and then onto the Peace Commission of the General Staff. and rose to command an artillery battalion in World War I. He remained in the army after the war, holding various artillery commands and rising steadily through the ranks. On 08-02-1938 General Dollmann Commanding Officer of the 9th Corps, a Waffen SS corps, fired the first artillery shell to mark the inauguration of the Wildflecken Training Area Wildflecken1   The camp, Wildflecken and training-area was primarily used by the German Army, Wehrmacht, as well as by the Waffen-SS . During the war several Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS divisions were activated and trained for combat in Wildflecken. Also located in Wildflecken was an ammunition factory and two POW camps, one for Russian POWs and one for POWs of Belgian and French origin. In 1945 elements of the U.S. 14th Armoured Division, nicknamed “Liberators”  under command of Generalmajor Albert Cowper Smith
took control of the camp and the training area in April 1945. The division became known by its nickname during the last days of World War II when it liberated some 200,000 Allied prisoners of war from German prison camps. Among those liberated were approximately 20,000 American soldiers, sailors and airmen, as well as an estimated 40,000 troops from Great Britain and the Commonwealth. In October 1939 Dollmann, promoted to Generalleutnant, assumed command of the Seventh Army, which he led in the invasion of France in May–June 1940, along side to the troops of Erwin Rommel‘s,
7th Panzer Division, nicknamed “Gespensterdivision” . “Ghost Division”. During the fight in France the division alongside troops from 5th Panzer Division   under command of General der Panzertruppen Joachim Lemelsen   committed numerous atrocities against colonial French troops including mass murder of 50 surrendering Non-commissioned officers and men at Quesnoy and Airaines. The division is considered to be also responsible for execution of POW’s in Hangest-sur-Somme while too far to be involved in massacre at Aiains. Lemelsen survived the war and died 30-03-1954, aged 65.
   Dollmann was promoted to General in July 1940. In preparation for the invasion of the low countries, the 7th Panzer Division became part of the 15th Panzer Corps under the command of Generaloberst der Waffen SS, Kommandeur der 7th Heeresgruppe, Hermann Hoth.
  For the next four years, from his headquarters in Le Mans, he commanded the Seventh Army in northern France, where it had been assigned the defense of Normandy and Brittany against a possible Allied invasion launched from England. His  Chief of Staff of the 7th Army was the Generalmajor Anton Dostler,
, who later was executed by the Americans for war crimes.
  Dollmann lowered the alert conditions after worsening weather conditions on June 4. Attending a map exercise during June 5–6, his command in Normandy took much of the early casualties during the initial Allied assault.

Death and burial ground of Dollmann, Friedrich Karl Albert.

 On the right Generaloberst Friedrich Dollmann and Karl Weinrich, Staatsrat, Gauleiter of Kurhessen. Oberrhein in1940. Shortly after the bomb attack of 22-10-1943 on Kassel, which destroyed the whole inner city, he was stripped of his office and succeeded by Karl Gerland. Weinrich survived the war, was sentenced to a ten-year prison term in 1949, and died on 22-07-1973, age 85, in Hausen. On 21-04-1945, age 39, Gerland was killed during the fighting against the Soviet Red Army at Frankfurt (Oder)

Dollmann would continue to resist the Allied attack until his death on 28-06-1944, after learning he was going to be court martialed because of the fall of Cherbourg,   where Karl Wilhelm von Schlieben surrendered to Major General, Commander 1st Infantry DivisionJames Collins the Commander of the U.S. 7th Field Artillery Regiment   “Never Broken by Hardship or Battle”. Sources are not conclusive about the way Dollman died, some sources speak of a heart attack, others claim that he committed suicide by taking poison.  He was succeeded by SS-Obergruppenführer, Kommandeur General II SS Panzerkorps, Paul “Papa” Hausser  an East Front veteran. The 7th Army  had to fly later from the deadly Falaise pocket now with the successor of Hausser General der Panzertruppe, Kommandeur der 5th Panzerbrigade, Heinrich Eberbach  Friedrich Dollmann who started and ended his career in France, is buried on the war cemetery of Champigny St. André and close by are the graves of SS Brigadeführer, Kommandeur SS-Panzer Grenadier Regiment 1, Fritz Witt,  General der Flieger, “ Hangman of Paris ” Kommandeur Wehrkreis XVII,
Otto von Stülpnagel,   the butcher of Paris and very despicable man. Hitler ordered Otto von Stülpnagel to execute 100-150 French hostages for each attack. The MBF immediately condemned Hitler’s policy through official channels, treated both attacks as a single incident, and shot a total of 98 hostages. Determined to preserve French cooperation, Stülpnagel condemned large-scale executions. In contrast, the SS demonstrated its enthusiasm for Hitler’s war against the so-called Jewish conspiracy by bombing seven Synagogues in Paris on the night of 2/3 October 1941. Embarrassed by the attacks, Stülpnagel complained to superiors in Berlin, but his repeated protests only reiterated tepid support for Nazi racial policy. Suspecting the MBF of Francophilia, Field Marshal, Wilhelm Keitel the head of Armed Forces High Command (Oberkommando der Wehrmacht or OKW) grew tired of Stülpnagel’s complaints. On 02-02-1942, he directed the MBF to answer all acts of resistance with “sharp deterrents, including the execution of a large number of imprisoned communists, Jews, or people who carried out previous attacks, and the arrest of at least 1,000 Jews or communists for later evacuation.” Unwilling to carry out mass executions, Otto von Stülpnagel promptly submitted a bitter letter of resignation. Succeeded by his cousin Generalmajor der Infanterie, Wehrmachtsbefehlshaber in France, Carl Heinrich von Stülpnagel
  ,  Otto may have suffered a nervous breakdown and spent the remainder of the war with his wife in Berlin. Arrested by Allied authorities after Germany’s surrender, the former MBF wound up in a French military prison. Condemned as a butcher in the press and charged with war crimes by French authorities, Otto von Stülpnagel committed suicide in Cherche Midi Prison on 06-02-1948.  Also buried there is the Flyer Ace, Major, Flugzeugführer i.d. 7./J.G. 2,  Fighter Wing 2, nicknamed “Nowotny”  Josef “Sepp” Wurmheller .

Share on :